The government recently released Public Procurement Note 06/21, which states that all organisations supplying public sector contracts with a value of more than £5 million must have a carbon reduction plan in place.
A Carbon Reduction Plan is a statement from an organisation detailing their current carbon footprint, along with their commitment to help the UK achieve Net Zero emissions by 2050.
A Carbon Reduction Plan is designed to:
- Identify the impact that the project will have on the environment
- Provide details of the environmental measures that will be present in the plan
A Carbon Reduction Plan should include the following:
- A confirmed commitment to achieving Net Zero Carbon by 2050 in the UK
- Current emissions for Scopes 1 and 2 of the GHG Protocol, as well as a plan for identifying and mitigating Scope 3 emissions
- Provisional emissions reporting in CO2e for all six gases referenced in the Kyoto Protocol
- A detailed outline of current environmental management measures, including specific plans and measures that focus on carbon reduction, and how those plans will be applied to achieve the Net Zero Carbon target
- Approval from the organisation’s governing body or board of directors falling within 12 months of the procurement date
- Proof that the Carbon Reduction Plan is publicly available through the organisation’s website
A Carbon Reduction Plan functions as a roadmap – showing an organisation how to get to Net Zero Carbon and setting out a strategy to do so.
How can GEP Environmental help?
The GEP Environmental team can provide tailored support throughout the entire process, from supporting with legislative requirements to conducting a carbon footprint and using that information to create a Carbon Reduction Plan. We support clients from a variety of sectors that will need to adhere to the requirements of PPN 06/21, including Healthcare, Real Estate, Manufacturing, Retail, Food & Beverage, Hospitality, Leisure, Higher Education, Transport, Logistics, and Public Sector organisations.
- Carbon Footprint Support: our team can provide support to assist with the collection of qualified data, and advise on areas of greatest emissions production and potential reduction.
- Emissions Calculation: our experts can assist your organisation with collating current Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions, following international standards and best practice guidance including GHG Protocol and ISO 14064-1
- Environmental Management Measures: the GEP Environmental team is well-versed in helping organisations understand, create and implement measures that focus on carbon reduction, as well as contextualising how those plans will be used to meet the Net Zero Carbon target
- Carbon Reduction Plan Document: our team will assist you in creating the Carbon Reduction Plan document, ensuring that plans are clear to stakeholders and employees alike. The GEP Environmental team has considerable experience managing these delicate relationships and is well-placed to provide advice and support to organisations of all sizes.
For more information about PPN 06/21 and Carbon Reduction Plans, get in touch with a member of our team today.
Would you like to download a Public Procurement Note 06/21 and Carbon Reduction Plans?
Simply click the button below to download your Public Procurement Note 06/21 and Carbon Reduction Plans free of charge
Would you like to know more about Public Procurement Note 06/21 and Carbon Reduction Plans?
Simply click the button below and one of our Engineers will call you back
Request a call-back