Targets meet the following three criteria:
- A defined GHG emissions baseline and a defined reduction goal, as well as a target year (for example, a reduction of GHGs by 50% by the year 2030).
- A target must be supported by a clearly defined emissions reduction pathway towards meeting your SBT.
- It keeps the Paris Agreement in mind, and is set in line with the latest climate science necessary to achieve the goal of keeping global warming well below 2°C, with an overall goal of limiting warming to 1.5°C.
How Can a Science-Based Target help your business?
SBTs are an excellent way to set your business apart, and to show your customers that you’re committed to stopping climate change. They help your business by:
- Improving reputation and demonstrating leadership: utilising these targets demonstrates leadership in the environmental space for both customers, employees, and key suppliers. Even unverified, these targets show commitment to following a best practice approach to reducing your emissions which is easy for customers and stakeholders to understand
- Supporting sectoral decarbonisation: SBTs do not take a one-size fits all approach. They can be tailored to your specific industry sector allowing your organisation to set targets which complement wider industry initiatives
- Complementing your existing net zero and wider sustainability strategies: science-based targets can be easily integrated into your strategies – meaning double the sustainability for a fraction of the paperwork
Many of the UK’s largest and most well-known companies (Aviva, John Lewis & Partners among others) are focusing on the decarbonisation of their supply chains and many have already set their own SBTs. There has never been a better time to embrace these targets – and the GEP Environmental team can help. Our team of experts has years of experience helping organisations set carbon reduction targets and are actively supporting our clients to set their own science-based targets, integrate them into a wider sustainability strategy, and ultimately help them reach their Net Zero Carbon goals.
For more information about science-based targets, and how they could help your organisation, get in touch today.
Would you like to download a Science-Based Targets and Your Organisation?
Simply click the button below to download your Science-Based Targets and Your Organisation free of charge
Would you like to know more about Science-Based Targets and Your Organisation?
Simply click the button below and one of our Engineers will call you back
Request a call-back